Cross-border cooperation under the European Neighbourhood Instrument contributes to creating an area of “shared prosperity and good neighbourliness” between EU member states and their neighbours.
WHAT ARE THE ENI CBC PROGRAMMES?
Cross-border cooperation on the external borders of the European Union is a key priority both in the European Neighbourhood Policy and in the EU’s strategic partnership with Russia. ENI CBC builds on the achievements of its predecessor, the European Neighbourhood and Partnership Instrument (ENPI CBC).
ENPI CBC programmes have generated lots of interest among the actors in their eligible regions, which have submitted 7.000 applications, involving over 37.000 organisations and requesting 7 times more the funds available. This has lead to the approval of nearly 1.000 projects.
OBJECTIVES OF THE ENI CBC PROGRAMMES
Building on these achievements, ENI CBC promotes cooperation under the following objectives:
- To promote economic and social development in regions on both sides of common borders
- To address common challenges in environment, public health, safety and security
- For promotion of better conditions and modalities for ensuring the mobility of persons, goods and capital.
“The most interesting thing is to work with so many different countries and to see how, despite all difficulties and obstacles, you manage to find a solution and to take a step forward.
It is very rewarding to observe all the goodwill the participating countries invest into these programmes, and you really get a feeling that you contribute to something that will be useful in the regions where the projects will be carried out. We believe that this will indeed lead to some positive results for people in the border regions which are often very poor, and that is a big accomplishment in itself.”
Building on the main ENI CBC objectives, the strategy for each of the 16 programmes is built around up to 4 of the following themes:
- BUSINESS AND SME DEVELOPMENT
- SUPPORT TO EDUCATION, RESEARCH, TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENT AND INNOVATION
- PROMOTION OF LOCAL CULTURE AND PRESERVATION OF HISTORICAL HERITAGE
- PROMOTION OF SOCIAL INCLUSION AND FIGHT AGAINST POVERTY
- SUPPORT TO LOCAL AND REGIONAL GOOD GOVERNANCE
- ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION, AND CLIMATE CHANGE MITIGATION AND ADAPTATION
- IMPROVEMENT OF ACCESSIBILITY TO THE REGIONS, DEVELOPMENT OF SUSTAINABLE AND CLIMATE-PROOF TRANSPORT AND COMMUNICATION NETWORKS AND SYSTEMS
- COMMON CHALLENGES IN THE FIELD OF SAFETY AND SECURITY
- PROMOTION OF AND COOPERATION ON SUSTAINABLE ENERGY AND ENERGY SECURITY
- PROMOTION OF BORDER MANAGEMENT, BORDER SECURITY AND MOBILITY
- OTHER AREAS LIKELY TO HAVE A SUBSTANTIAL CROSS-BORDER IMPACT
Check the programmes pages below to find out which themes are more prevalent in each cooperation area.
A total of 16 programmes will be implemented under ENI CBC. They cover 12 land borders, one sea crossing and three sea basins, stretching from Finland and Russia in the north, to countries like Hungary and the Ukraine in the east, and Italy, Northern Africa and the Middle East in the south.
Here you will find news and information on each programme, including the programme strategy and participating countries.
The overall aim of the Programme is to promote...
The general objective of the Romania-Ukraine Programme is to...
The Hungary-Slovakia-Romania-Ukraine programme aims to promote activities which will...
South East Finland-Russia
This programme aims to contribute to economic and social...
The programme aims to promote cooperation across the borders...
Black Sea Basin
The programme aims to improve the welfare of the...
The overall objective of the Poland-Belarus-Ukraine Programme is to...
The main objective of the Poland-Russia CBC Programme 2014-2020...
The Karelia CBC Programme enhances cooperation between border Finnish...
The cooperation area of the Italy-Tunisia ENI CBC Programme...
The programme contributes to strengthening relations between Latvia and...
Romania-Republic of Moldova
The Romania-Republic of Moldova Programme tries to enhance economic...
Mediterranean Sea Basin
The ENI CBC Mediterranean Sea Basin Programme 2014-2020 aims...
The Programme area lies to the east of the...
This programme aims to strengthen relations, raise capacities and...
Other programmes and partnerships
In this section, you will find information and links to other programmes and structures relevant to ENI CBC.
EU policies and institutions:
Other EU programmes, strategies of cross-border, regional cooperation:
ENI CBC Stories
Find out more about the positive impact of ENI CBC projects on the lives of people living on both sides of the external border of the EU! From creating business opportunities and new jobs, to making our regions more sustainable and providing innovative and accessible social services on the external borders…there are many stories to tell!